One of the main phenomena and challenges the EU is facing nowadays is migration, both in the form of legal migration and refugee inflows. Migration and asylum systems of the EU Member States have been undergoing substantial changes in order to address these challenges while the EU’s impact on this policy area is continuing to grow and go beyond the minimum legislative standards. The Course will launch an informed discussion on EU migration law and policy and provide an insight into its internal and external dimension. The topic will be approached in an interdisciplinary manner by addressing the legal dimension of migration in its political, social, economic and historical context. The dynamics of EU migration discourse will be understood by taking into consideration its politicization and securitisation. By the end of the course its participants will gain advanced understanding of the actors and instruments of EU migration and asylum law.
In the academic year 2022/2023, the classes will start on 6 October 2022.
Classes will be held each Thursday at 11:00h in Ćirilometodska 4, lecture room V (ground floor)
- Introduction to the evolution and institutional framework of EU migration policy;
- EU external border controls;
- Refugees, subsidiary protection, asylum seekers and protected persons;
- Asylum procedure;
- Return and readmission policy;
- Implications of human rights for migration and asylum;
- Immigration for purposes of work and study;
- Family reunification;
- Status and integration of third-country nationals;
- External relations and EU migration law;
- EU visa policy
(with teaching and reading materials)
(course ID: 1920-93344-6621; login with AAI)