- Object and content of a comparative study of contemporary political systems. The concept of a "political system" . Contemporary science on comparative political systems.
- Classification of political systems: democratic and autocratic regimes. Contemporary democracies of Europe and North America. New democracies of East and Middle Europe. Problems of democratic transition in ex-communist system countries. Republic of Croatia's place and prospects in the process of transformation. Problems in building political institutions. New institutional analysis. Theory of constitutional choice. A pluralist model of the political system.
- Theory of the division of power and its application in contemporary developed democracies. Great Britain, United States of America, Germany, France. Contemporary parliamentarism. Problems of application in the political system of the Republic of Croatia.
- Compound states and associations of states: American theories of federalism. A comparative approach to the study of compound states and associations of states. The downfall of communist federations and the birth of new and independent states. The creation of an independent and sovereign Republic of Croatia. Actualisation of the Constitution of the Republic of Croatia.
- Smerdel, Branko, Central European Democratic Transition: The Paradigm of a Constitutional Revolution, paper presented at the Round Table of the International Association of Constitutional Law (Belgrade, Serbia), May 2012
- Smerdel, Branko, Ethics in Government – Conflict of Interest and the Constitution, 50 Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Collected papers of the Zagreb Faculty of Law) (2000) 5; 769-794
- Smerdel, Branko, Convention on the Future of Europe and the Process of Constitutional Choice, Revus - Journal for Constitutional Theory and Philosophy of Law, 1 (2003); 4-16
- Smerdel, Branko, The Croatian Parliament in a Comparative Perspective, 1 Croatian Critical Law Review (1996) 1-2; 137-154
- Smerdel, Branko, Relevance of the Theory of a Compound Republic for the European Process of Constitutional Choice, paper presented at the international conference „Vincent Ostrom: The Quest to Understand Human Affairs“, Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis, Indiana University Bloomington, June 2006
- Smerdel, Branko, Constitutional Identity: Beyond the View from the Courts, paper presented at the Jean Monnet Conference on National and Constitutional Identity in EU Law (Regensburg, Germany), March 2012
- Smerdel, Branko, Platypus Reconsidered: How to Integrate Independent Regulators into the Croatian Constitutional Order, in: Bodiroga Vukobrat, N.; Sander, G.G.; Barić, S. (eds.), Regulierungsagenturen im Spannungsfeld von Recht und Okonomie (Regulatory Agencies in the tension Between Law and Economics), Verlag Dr. Kovač GmbH, Hamburg, 2012
- Smerdel, Branko, Republic of Croatia, in: Constitutional Law of the EU Member States (Besselink, L.; Bovend Eert, P.; Broeksteeg, H.; DeLange, R.; Voermans, W. - eds.), Deventer: Kluwer, 2014., str.191.-
- Smerdel, Branko, Design and operation of the "hybrid" presidency - evaluation of the power-sharing in the Croatian top executive, Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Collected papers of the Zagreb Faculty of Law) 65 (2015) 2; 181-211
- Smerdel, Branko, In quest of a doctrine: Croatian constitutional identity in the European Union, Zbornik Pravnog fakulteta u Zagrebu (Collected papers of the Zagreb Faculty of Law) 64 (2014) 4; 513-534